In an effort to support Giancarlo Stanton in the passing of his friend and teammate, Jose Fernandez, the Notre Dame baseball program took a picture wearing Jose’s jersey. We sent the picture along with about 50 cards for Giancarlo to read. We wanted to remind him that he is not alone and that he is always a part of the Notre Dame family.
Photo by Reggie Ferraz.
Notre Dame Baseball 2015-16
The Notre Dame Baseball program is excited about the 2016 baseball season. The players and coaches can’t wait for all of the cheering fans, alumni and friends to fill Marine Corps Memorial Stadium once again!
The Knights have been committed since the beginning of the 2015-16 school year. They have been training in the weight room three days per week, getting in shape for fall and winter ball. The Knights will be participating in Thanksgiving, Christmas and MLK Tournaments, and they have a full winter schedule. If desire and work ethic are good barometers of how the season will turn out, the Knights should have a great year.
2016 SoCal Invitational Tournament Winners
ND beat Cleveland on Wednesday, March 9, to win the SoCal Invitational Tournament by a score of 8-0. Notre Dame pitchers Hunter Greene and Isaac Amador only allowed one hit. The Knights were led by Greene on offense, as well as on the mound. Greene went 3 for 4 with one double and two RBIs. The Knights are now 5-0 and play Village Christian on Wednesday, March 16, in a double-header at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Notre Dame has a rich tradition with over 60 years of success. In the last 25 years, Head Coach Tom Dill has led the Knights to 21 Mission League titles and has had 52 players make the All-CIF list. During Dill's tenure, Notre Dame has gone to the CIF Playoffs 15 times (two championship appearances, four semi-final appearances). Collecting eight 20-win seasons, the Knights have claimed five tournament titles and four league titles while earning three national top-10 ranks and three state top-10 ranks.
In the classroom, over 400 baseball players have maintained a collective GPA over 3.2. No player has ever been academically ineligible.
Many Notre Dame alumni have found success on the professional level. Over the last 25 years, 40 professional baseball players have developed while playing for Dill. Some notable alumni in Minor/Major League Baseball include:
- Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins (active, 3-time All-Star, NL home run leader)
- Chris Dickerson, Free Agent (active)
- Brendan Ryan, Washington Nationals (active)
- Brett Hayes, Arizona Diamondbacks (active)
- Kelly Dugan, Iowa Cubs under Chicago Cubs (active)
- David Armendariz, Lake County Captains under Cleveland Indians (active)
- Josh Goossen-Brown, AZ League White Sox under Chicago White Sox (active)
- Tim Foli (first round draft-pick 1969, World Series Champ)
- Greg Goossen (Multiple teams)
- Jack McDowell (1993 Cy Young Award winner)
- Jorge Piedra, Colorado Rockies
- Tom Gamboa, Coach (Multiple Teams)
- Bobby Hughes Milwaukee Brewers
- Pat Gillick, 2-time World Series GM (MLB Hall of Fame)
Under Dill, there have been 70 students who have played college baseball, including 41 Division I athletes. Some of these include:
- Walker Moses, Northwestern (active)
- Eddie Muhl, George Washington (active)
- J.J. Muno, UC Santa Barbara (active)
- Kynan Barton, Chapman (active)
- Alex Gould, Evansville (active)
- Brett Sesma, Sonoma State (active)
- Jake Hirabayashi, UCLA (active)
- Jordan Myrow, UCLA (active)
- Joe Pace, Michigan (active)
- Payton Milone, Academy of Art (active)
- Chris Collins, San Diego State (active)
Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
Marine Corps Memorial Stadium is touted as one of the best baseball stadiums in the country. Its features include:
- College-type dugouts with adjoining locker rooms and coaches' rooms
- Mission style stadium structure with arched openings and Spanish tile roof
- Press Box with state of the art sound system and cameras
- Multiple cameras with live game feed capability
- Separate video review room for players/coaches
- Stadium lights for practices and night games
- Backstop netting identical to Dodger Stadium
- Field turf similar to many Division I college programs
- Hitter’s Eye
The stadium was opened in February 2014. For more details on the construction and to see photos/video of the opening, click here.
Join the ND baseball family
There are several ways to become a part of the Notre Dame baseball family, including:
- Attend the ND Open House on Nov. 15, 2015 (10 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Must take the entrance exam on January 23, 2016 (8 a.m.)
- Receive good grades and recommendations during 8th grade
- Come and see ND play during the 2016 season (view schedule here)
- Come and see the Opening Day/Alumni Game on February 20, 2016 (view photos/video here)
- Visit the ND website for schedules and information: http://www.ndhs.org/s/1012/start.aspx
- Sign-up for the ND Baseball Camp with varsity coaches in May 2016
Please contact Head Coach Tom Dill with questions at (818) 933-3624 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.