Notre Dame students are a part of the Holy Cross family. Like so many before them, they experience the richness of a Catholic educational experience in a tradition deeply rooted in the religious congregation's educational ministry to the local and universal church. It was from the University of Notre Dame in Indiana that several Brothers of Holy Cross came to Sherman Oaks in 1947 to found a private Catholic high school under the auspices of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. For over a half a century, the Notre Dame community has built upon the heritage and mission of the Congregation of Holy Cross and continues to give life to the words of its founder, Father Basil Moreau:
"The mind will not be cultivated at the expense of the heart. While we prepare useful citizens for society, we shall likewise do our utmost to prepare citizens for eternal life."
Notre Dame High School, a Catholic, college preparatory school in the Holy Cross tradition, educates the hearts and minds of students who are diverse in talent, ethnicity and society. As a faith community, Notre Dame strives to provide each student with a rich academic background, an appropriate sense of self, an opportunity for growth, a commitment to family, community, nation and world, and a respect for the spiritual dignity of all persons.
Integral to the Holy Cross educational philosophy is the formation of the whole person. In keeping with this philosophy. Notre Dame bases its mission on these shared values:
Spiritual - We strive to give students a comprehensive understanding of the Catholic faith, a respect for the value of the individual and the expereince of a faith community, lived out through the liturgy, prayer, and service.
Intellectual - We seek a curriculum that meets the highest standards of accreditation and society, preparing students for college and post-secondary pursuits, and which fully develops students' skills for communication and critical thinking.
Personal - Notre Dame seeks to shape students who value themselves and others, who apply gospel values in moral decision-making, who have a strong aesthetic sense, and who exhibit self-discipline and a cooperative spirit.
Communal - Notre Dame aims to promote an active interest in the well-being of others, understanding and acceptance of diverse cultures and an awareness of the responsibilities of citizenship.
Based on our Mission and Values, Notre Dame will be the school of choice for students and families seeking an institution that:
- Maintains a strong Catholic identity and sense of faith community
- Enjoys a reputation for academic excellence, curricular innovation, and state of the art technologies in and out of the classroom
- Offers an experientially-based and diverse extra-curricular program
- Seeks and retains faculty who enhance the Mission of the school
- Provides safe, modern, and well-maintained facilities
- Develops the resources necessary to fund a growing endowment program
- Enjoys a reputation for curricular and academic excellence
- Keeps the Notre Dame education as an accessible option to the deserving population of diverse backgrounds and academic statures
- Ensures the vitality of the school through aggressive marketing, recruitment, and retention
- Invites, encourages, and facilitates active participation by alumni and past parents in the school community