The Head Swim Coach works under the direct supervision of the athletic directors and principal. The coach is expected to provide the necessary leadership to plan and organize the swimming and diving program, and to help carry out the objectives of the school’s athletic program. The coach is also responsible for the Junior Varsity program. The head coach must be a person of high character and able to espouse Catholic, Holy Cross, and Notre Dame mission values that will set a positive example for all students. This position involves serving as Head Swim and Dive Coach with a possibility of a teaching assignment as well if any are available. Candidates whose preference is to serve solely as an off-campus coach will also be considered.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from the athletic directors, and/or the principal/vice principal.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned junior varsity coaches, assistant coaches, and student assistants.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Serves as a positive role model and demonstrates proper sportsmanship and respect for players, officials, opponents, fans, and other coaches.
2. Maintains strong interpersonal skills and cooperative working relationships with students and adults (parents, staff, school administration) from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflicts, maintaining confidentiality, keeping emotions under control, listening and remaining open to others ideas, and contributing to a positive team spirit.
3. Responsible for the safety and supervision of players at all times and creates a safe environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of high school students.
4. Adheres to all protocols listed in the athletic handbook, faculty handbook, and student handbook and stays abreast of students' academic eligibility by communicating regularly with Vice Principal of Academic Affairs.
5. Directs the training, conditioning, and performance of the swim and dive team with support and collaboration from the school’s strength and conditioning coach.
6. Assists athletic directors and principal/vice principal in hiring and retention of assistants; mentors and supervises assistants
7. Instructs and demonstrates knowledge, skill sets, and techniques necessary for team and individual development. Assesses swimmer’s skills, monitors students during competition and practice
8. Assists the athletic directors in developing game schedules, tryouts, practice schedules, facilities use, transportation needs, and the program budget.
9. Travels with student-athletes on the team bus to and from games, and at times, may need to drive school vans.
10. Consults with the athletic directors regarding all on and off-season training programs including scheduling dates for practices, summer practices, camps, uniform fittings, tryouts, pre-and post tryout informational parent meetings.
11. Plans, organizes, advertises, and conducts tryouts for the swim and dive program; informs athletic department and participants of final selections. Maintains the integrity of the selection process, and is communicative and supportive of students who do not make the team.
12. Holds informational parent meetings at the beginning of each season for all levels, and organizes a parent volunteer to serve as team liaison.
13. Works directly with athletic trainers in teaching precautions and procedures to ensure student and staff safety and helps students prevent injuries. Completes accident report for any student injured within 24 hours and notifies the athletic trainer even if the athlete does not see a physician. Ensures that a coach will accompany any injured player who requires medical attention.
14. Assumes responsibility for inventory, selection and care of equipment, and coordinates all purchase order requests for program uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
15. Maintains the equipment and pool in orderly condition and assumes responsibility for its security. Responsible for meet setup and teardown.
16. Maintains excellent public relations with media, social media, boosters, parents, officials, players, fans, etc
17. Provides media, athletic department and the school’s webmaster with game results; keeps season and individual game statistics and records; provides statistical reports to the athletic director as needed.
18. Submits, upon request, varsity letters and presents at awards banquet.
19. Understands and can articulate role in high school admissions, the college athletic recruiting process, advancement, and development.
20. Works cooperatively with the athletic directors, principal, and admissions director in identifying and/or guiding prospective high school student-athletes through proper channels for admissions and the financial aid process.
21. Contacts college coaches on behalf of student-athletes, provides statistical information/game tape etc. and meets with college recruiters upon request.
22. Works collaboratively with the advancement office to promote alumni support through attendance at games and as charitable benefactors.
23. Other duties as assigned by the athletic director or principal.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Strong communication, organizational, motivational, teaching, and coaching skills.
Experience as a head or assistant swimming coach at the high school or college level is preferred.
Possess effective coaching techniques and skills.
Possess a valid California driver's license
Possess a valid CPR/First Aid and Lifeguard Certification (or be willing to obtain certification prior to season)
START DATE: January 2020
Please email or fax cover letter, NDHS employment application (available on our website), resume, and three letters of reference to Paula Sheehan, Assistant to the Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to her attention at 818 933-3666.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 12, 2019
The selected candidate must pass an employment background check and all required training and certifications.