The Varsity Cheerleading Coach works under direct supervision of the Vice Principal of Student Life and Principal. The coach is expected to provide the necessary leadership to plan, organize, and be responsible for a comprehensive Cheerleading program, and to carry out the objectives of the school. The coach is also responsible for the junior varsity level program. The varsity coach must be of a person of high character and able to espouse Catholic, Holy Cross, and Notre Dame mission values that will set a positive example for all students. The Cheerleading program will be active during the summer.
● Receives direct supervision from the Vice Principal of Student Life, and/or the Principal.
● Exercises direct supervision over assigned junior varsity coach.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Serves as positive role model for the Cheerleaders and students in general.
2. Maintains strong interpersonal skills and cooperative working relationships with students and
adults (parents, staff, school administration) from diverse socioeconomic and cultural
backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflicts, maintaining confidentiality, keeping emotions under
control, listening and remaining open to others ideas, and contributing to a positive team spirit.
3. Responsible for the safety and supervision of cheerleaders at all times and creates a safe
environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional
development of high school students.
4. Adheres to all protocols listed in the athletic handbook, faculty handbook, and student
handbook and stays abreast of students' academic eligibility by communicating regularly with
vice principal for academic affairs.
5. Directs the training, conditioning, and performance of the varsity Cheerleading team, with the
ability to choreograph and teach routines to the Cheerleading squad.
6. Organizes and facilitates, including choreography and music, all performances at rallies,
games, halftime shows, competitions and other performances as required.
7. Instructs and demonstrates knowledge, skill sets, and techniques necessary for team and
8. Develops tryout protocols, practice schedules, facilities use, transportation needs,
and the program budget.
9. Arranges for and travels with Cheerleaders on team bus to and from games, and at times,
may need to drive school vans.
10. Consults with the school administration regarding all on and off-season training
programs including scheduling dates for practices, summer practices, camps,
uniform fittings, tryouts, pre-and post tryout informational parent meetings.
11. Plans, organizes, advertises, and conducts tryouts for the program; informs
school administration and participants of final selections. Maintains the integrity of
the selection process, and is communicative and supportive of students who do not
make the team.
12. Holds informational parent meetings at the beginning of each season.
13. Works directly with athletic trainers in teaching precautions and procedures to
ensure student and staff safety and helps students prevent injuries. Completes
accident report for any student injured within 24 hours and notifies the athletic
trainer even if the athlete does not see a physician. Ensures that a coach will
accompany any injured player who requires medical attention.
14. Assumes responsibility for inventory, selection and care of equipment, and
coordinates all purchase order requests for program uniforms, supplies, and
15. Responsible for the condition of facilities and equipment: makes sure equipment
is stored properly after practice, and all office, storage room, outside doors, and
locker rooms are locked and lights turned off after games and practices.
16. Other duties as assigned by the school administration or principal.
● Previous high school coaching experience required, preferably at the varsity level.
● Availability to coach during summer and vacation periods; evening and weekend work is required.
● Strong communication, organizational, motivational, teaching, and coaching skills.
● CPR/First Aid, Virtus, and other certification are required. (This can be completed
● AACCA certified or willing to complete AACCA certification.
The selected candidate must pass an employment background check and all required trainings and certifications.